Denford, a chapelry in Kintbury parish, Berks, 1½ mile ENE of Hungerford. Post town, Hungerford. Population, 122. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £65. The church, erected in 1833, is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
The register dates from the year 1832.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
Holy Trinity church, which adjoins Denford House, was erected and endowed by the late G. C. Cherry esq. in 1832, and is an edifice of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of nave, south porch and a richly carved and embattled eastern tower, with pinnacles and spirelets, containing one bell: there are 75 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Denford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Denford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.