Bagley Wood, Berkshire
Bagley-Wood, formerly an extra parochial tract, now a parish, in Berkshire, 3 miles S of Oxford. Acreage, 639; population, 4. A spot here, on Chilswell farm, was the site of the original Abingdon Abbey; and another spot, on the top of a hill, commands a splendid view of Oxford. Abingdon is the post town.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Bagley Wood was in Abingdon Registration District from 1837 to 1900
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bagley Wood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bagley-Wood)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bagley Wood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.