Allonby, a village, a chapelry, and a township in the parish of Bromfield, Cumberland. The village stands on a wide open bay of its own name, opposite the Robin Rigg light-vessel, is 3½ miles N of Bull Gill railway station, and 5 NNE of Maryport, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. It carries on a fishing trade, and is a fashionable summer resort for sea-bathing. It was the birthplace of the distinguished hydrographer, Huddart, who died in 1816. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £160. Patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. There is a church, a Congregational chapel, and Friends' meeting-house in the village. With the township of West Newton it forms the civil parish of West Newton and Allonby, comprising 1339 acres; population, 497.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1758, but are defective up to 1776.
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, erected as a chapel-of-ease to Bromfield, but made the church of a separate ecclesiastical parish, Feb. 16, 1906, was rebuilt in 1845 upon the site of a former chapel, erected in 1741, by Dr. Tomlinson, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and his relatives, and is a plain cruciform edifice of stone, with a west porch and western turret containing one bell. In the church is a marble monument with medallion to Capt. Joseph Huddart F.R.S. formerly of the Hon. East India Co. Service, who died in 1816. In 1885 the interior was renovated and greatly improved, and an organ erected at a total cost of £510; the stained east window was erected by the patron in 1898 to the memory of his wife. A new organ was provided in 1899, at a cost of £170. The church affords 250 sittings, of which 40 are free.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allonby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Allonby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Allonby are available from a number of sites: