UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ascot, Berkshire

Historical Description

Ascot, an ecclesiastical parish, which was formed in 1865 out of the civil parishes of Winkfield and Sunninghill, Berks. It has a station on the L. & S.W.R., a head post and telegraph office, two good hotels, and several fine villa residences and country seats. There are also extensive nursery grounds, and the royal kennels, where Her Majesty's buckhounds are kept. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £93 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford. The church is a building of brick, erected in 1864. The London and Ascot Hospital for Convalescents and Incurables, an extensive building situated between Ascot Heath and Winkfield Row, was built in 1850 at a cost of £10,000. The race-course is adjacent to the SW extremity of the Great Park of Windsor; has a rich sward, a grand stand with a noble view, and the most complete range of racing chateaux in the kingdom. It is circular, and only 66 yards short of 2 miles, and goes half of the way on the descent, the other half chiefly up hill. The races were instituted by the Duke of Cumberland, uncle of George III.; they take place early in June, and are generally attended by members of the royal family, the nobility, and the fashionable world. Population, 2414.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1865.


Churches

Church of England

All Saints (parish church)

he church of All Saints, erected in 1864, is an edifice of brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a turret containing one bell: the interior is elaborately decorated, and there are several stained windows; the church affords 280 sittings.

Baptist

Baptist Chapel, Ascot Side

The Baptist chapel at Ascot Side was erected in 1879.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ascot from the following:


Institutions

In this parish is the Ascot Priory Convalescent Home and Orphanage of the Sisters of The Holy Trinity, founded by the late Dr. Pusey: the buildings, which are extensive, include a chapel.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ascot are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWindsor and Maidenhead
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSL5
Post TownAscot