Aikton, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village lies E of the Wampool river, 4 miles from Curthwaite railway station, and 4 NNE of Wigton. The parish includes also the villages of Wampool, Wiggonby, Biglands, and Gamelsby. Post town, Wigton. Acreage, 6172; population, 753. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; value, £500. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is small and old.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aikton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1694.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, which stands about half a mile east from the village, is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a turret containing 2 bells: there are 230 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aikton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aikton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Aikton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBiglands and Gamblesby
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.