Bushmead, a seat on the north border of Beds, 5 miles W of St Neots. A priory of Black canons was founded hero in the time of Henry II. by the Beauchamps, and came at the dissolution to Sir W. Gascoigne. Much of the conventual buildings remains, but the front of the mansion is of modern date.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bushmead are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online: