Puffin Island or Priestholm, Anglesey
Puffin Island or Priestholm, an extra-parochial island in the NE of Anglesey, at the W side of the mouth of the Menai Strait, 4½ miles NE of Beaumaris. It is separated from Anglesey by a channel about half a mile wide, and is about a mile long. It was formerly called Ynys Seiriol, after Seiriol The first ruler of Penmon Priory, which is thought by some to have been first founded on this island in the 6th century, and afterwards removed to Penmon on the mainland. Ruins of the church tower are still standing.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Anglesey||1837 - 1885|
|Registration district||Bangor||1852 - 1937|
|Registration district||Anglesey East||1937 - 1968|
|Registration district||Anglesey||1968 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Anglesey is online.
Online maps of Puffin Island or Priestholm are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: