UK Genealogy Archives logo

Old Radnor, Radnorshire

Historical Description

Radnor, Old, a village, a township, and a parish in Radnorshire. The village stands on a rocky height, 1 mile N of Dolyhir station on the Kington and New Radnor branch of the G.W.R., 4 miles ESE of New Radnor, and 3 WNW of Kington. The township contains also the hamlet of Burlingjobb, and bears the name of Old Radnor and Burlingjobb. Acreage, 2040; population, 340. The parish contains also the townships of Harpton and Wolfpits; Ednol; Walton and Womaston; Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland, and Burfa; Kinnerton, Salford, and Badland, and Lower Harpton (in Herefordshire). Post town, Kington. Acreage, 12,033; population of the civil parish, 1214; of the ecclesiastical, 947. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Evenjobb forms a separate ecclesiastical parish. Population, :267. Harpton Court is the seat of the Lewis family. The hills of Old Radnor consist of rocks similar to the hypers-thene of Coruisk in Skye, and possess much interest for geologists. Charles I. slept a night here during his flight after The battle of Nasebyin 1645. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Kinnerton, in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church stands on a hill; is ancient, large, and good; has a massive embattled tower; and contains an ancient font, a carved oak screen, and monuments of the Lewis family of Harpton, one of whom was Sir George Cornewall Lewis, chancellor of the Exchequer. The church was restored in 1882. There is a chapel of ease at Kinnerton, and there are also Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: