Llandrindod Wells, Radnorshire
Llandrindod or Llandrindod Wells, a town and a parish in Radnorshire. The town is partly also in the parish of Cefnilys, near the river Ithon, 7½ miles N by E of Builth, and 214 from London. It has a station on the Central Wales branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Llandrindod Wells is a much frequented watering-place, both for the medicinal virtues of its mineral springs and the healthiness of its situation. The springs first came into local repute about the year 1696, and rose to such celebrity that lodging-houses and a large hotel were erected in 1749 for the accommodation of visitors. The hotel became eventually such a resort of gamblers and other disreputable persons that it had to be taken down. The springs are three in number, rising within a few yards of one another, yet differing totally in quality, being severally saline, chalybeate, and sulphureous, and their waters are specially useful in scrofulous and cutaneous diseases, There is a market-hall with a large room used for concerts, &c. A Convalescent Home and Cottage Hospital was established in 1880. A weekly newspaper is published. The parish comprises 2739 acres; population of the civil parish, 336; of the ecclesiastical, 1287. A lead mine, supposed to have been worked by the Romans, is in the vicinity, and various tumuli and ancient British and Roman entrenchments are within the parish. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Cefnilys, in the diocese of St David's; joint net value, £265. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church was erected in 1871. The old church is rarely used except for burial services. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: