UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llandewi Ystradenny, Radnorshire

Historical Description

Llandewi Ystradenny, a village and a parish in Radnorshire. The village stands on the river Ithon, 2½ miles NW of Dolan station on the L. & N.W.R, 3¼ N by W of Peny-bont, and 12 WSW of Knighton. It has a post office under Penybont (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Penybont. The parish contains 7905 acres; population, 422. The surface exhibits some fine hill scenery, and abounds in ancient entrenchments. Castell Cymaron is the site of a castle which belonged in the 12th century to the Earl of Chester, and in the 14th century to the Mortimers; and is opposite an ancient British, double-ditched camp, called the Gaer. Lord Ormathwaite owns nearly the wliole of the parish, and has a seat here. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Llanfihangel Rhydithon, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £175 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church was rebuilt in 1890, everything good being carefully retained, and much has since been done to beautify it. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: