Llanbister, a village and a parish in Radnorshire. The village stands on the river Ithon, 4 miles W of Llanbister Road station on the Central Wales section of the L. & N.W.R., .and 8 N of Penybont, It has a post office under Penybont (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Penybont. The parish includes the townships of Bronllis Caroge, Church,Cwrnlcchwedd, and Cwmgaist. Acreage, 14,530; population, 769. Llynwent is a mansion of the time of Elizabeth, much altered. There are several mineral springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £105 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, and has a buttressed tower surmounted by a wooden belfry. There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Knighton||1837 - 1933|
|Registration district||Radnorshire East||1933 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: