Llanbedr Painscastle, Radnorshire
Llanbedr Painscastle, a village and a parish in Radnorshire. The village stands on the river Bachhawye, a tributary of the Wye, 6½ miles NW by W of Hay; is a small place, and was once a market-town. Post town, Erwood (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 3800 acres; population, 202. A castle was founded here by the family of De Paine, passed to the Mortimers and others, and is now represented by only the vestiges of its moat. There is a lake of about a mile in circuit. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £82. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Hay||1837 - 1933|
|Registration district||Radnorshire West||1933 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: