Glasbury, a village and a township in Radnorshire, and a parish partly also in Breconshire. The village stands on the river Wye, 4 miles SW of Hay, is a pretty place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (E.S.O.), and a station on the Brecon and Hereford branch of the M.R. A bridge here of considerable length and height connects Brecon with Radnorshire. The Brecon half is of iron, and the Radnorshire half of wood. The township includes the village. The parish contains also the hamlets of Pipton, Tregoyd, and Velindre. Area of the civil parish, 2862 acres; population, 488; of the ecclesiastical, 774. Maesllwch Castle, in Radnorshire, an edifice of 1829, is the seat of the De Winton family, and occupies a situation which Gilpin pronounced "the finest of the kind in Wales." Tregoyd, in Breconshire, an edifice of the time of Elizabeth, is now the seat of Viscount Hereford. Gwemyfed, also an edifice of the time of Elizabeth, and having a courtyard with two round towers, belonged to the Clifford and Williams families; gave entertainment in 1645 to Charles I., and is now a farmhouse, in the ownership of the Wood family, who live in a new mansion hard by. An ancipnt British camp called Gaer is on an eminence. The living is a vicarage with Aberlunvey annexed, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £219 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a modern edifice in the Norman style, and was restored in 1881. The Radnorshire portion of the parish was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1882, Population, 488. The living is a vicarage; net value, <£240, in the gift of the Bishop of St David's. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was built in 1882. There are Congregational, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Hay||1837 - 1933|
|Registration district||Radnorshire West||1933 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: