Warbstow, a parish in Cornwall, 3½ miles from Tresmeer station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Egloskerry. Acreage, 4151; population of the civil parish, 396; of the ecclesiastical, 546. Warbstow barrow is a large ancient fortification, and has in its centre a mound locally called King Arthur's grave. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Treneglos, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £140. Patron, the Prince of Wales as Duke of Cornwall. The church is in the Early English style, and has an embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warbstow St. Werburgh|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warbstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Warbstow (St. Werburgh))
Online maps of Warbstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.