Holcot or Hulcote, a parish in Beds, on Crawley Brook, near the boundary with Bucks, 3 miles from Woburn station on the L. & N.W.B., and 4 N from Wobnrn. Post town, Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Aspley Guise. Acreage, 905; population, 48. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Salford, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross yearly value,, £242. The church is a small but ancient building in the Perpendicular style, and contains monuments of the Chernockes. It is now unused, save as a mortuary chapel, Salford church sufficing for the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holcutt St. Nicholas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1658
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Hulcote: Baptisms 1658-1939, Marriages 1662-1877, Burials 1659-1938. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
The church of St. Nicholas is a very small but ancient edifice of Late Perpendicular date, consisting of chaneel and nave and a low embattled western tower, with pinnacles at the angles and containing 4 bells: there are monuments of the Chernocke family from the time of Henry VIII. to the present day, and these include one, beautifully carved, with effigies and shields of arms, to Robert Chernocke, 1547, and Richard, his son, 1615; there are other monuments to Lieut.-Col. C. Hervey Smith, of Aspley House, 1857, and Frances, his wife, and to the Rev. Edward Hervey, rector, 1796; in the nave is a slab inscribed to William Nichols esq. 1619: the east window is stained: the church is not now in use, except as a mortuary chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hulcote was in Woburn Registration District from 1837 to 1899 and Ampthill Registration District from 1899 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hulcote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holcutt, or Hulcott (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hulcote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.