Towednack, a parish in Cornwall, 2½ miles SW of St Ives, and 1½ from St Erth station on the G.W.R. Acreage,. 2842; population, 363. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Duchess of Cleveland. Amal-Widden was the seat of the Hingestons, and is now a farmhouse. The chapelry is attached to Leiant. The church is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There are Wesleyan, Bible Christian, and Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Towednack St. Twinnock|
|Poor Law union||Penzance|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Towednack from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Towednack (St. Twinnock))
Online maps of Towednack are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.