Wonastow, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Trothy, 2 miles SW by W of Monmouth. Post town, Monmouth. Acreage, 1615; population, 125. Wonastow Court was formerly the seat of the Herberts, and is supposed to have been built in the time of Henry VI. It was garrisoned for the king in the Civil War, but surrendered by treachery. Treowen Castle is now a farmhouse. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £105 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1860. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wonastow St. Wonnow|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Wonastow from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wonastow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wonastow, or Weonastow (St. Wonnow))
Online maps of Wonastow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: