UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wolves Newton, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Wolves Newton, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire, 3½ miles SE of Llandenny station on the G.W.R., 5 E by S of Usk, and 7 NW of Chepstow. Post town, Chepstow. Acreage, 2656; population of the civil parish, 158; of the ecclesiastical, with Kilgwrrwg, 250. The living is a rectory, with Kilgwrrwg annexed, in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £390 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff and the Archdeacon of Llandaff alternately. The church is ancient, and there is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWolves-Newton St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredRaglan 
Poor Law unionChepstow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wolves Newton from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: