Whitson or Witson, Monmouthshire
Whitson or Witson, a parish in Monmouthshire, 2½ miles SSE of Llanwern station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and 6½ SE of Newport. It has a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Maindee. Acreage, 1086; population, 107. Whitson Court is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £177 with residence. Patron, alternately the Chapter of Llandaff and Eton College. The church is Early English and has been restored and partly rebuilt. It contains a Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitson or Witson from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Witston, or Whitson)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: