Tregare, a parish in Monmouthshire, 2 miles NNW of Raglan station on the G.W.R., and 7 W by S of Monmouth. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Raglan. Acreage, 2416; population, 262. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Abergavenny. Llwyn-y-Gaer is an ancient moated mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £188 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church was restored in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tregare St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Tregare from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tregare from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tregare (St. Mary))
Online maps of Tregare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: