St Mellons, Monmouthshire
Mellons, St, or Llaneurwg, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands near the river Rhymney at the boundary with Glamorgan, 2¼ miles W by S of Marshfield station on the G.W.R., and 4¼ NE by N of Cardiff, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Cardiff. The parish comprises 2591 acres; population, 650. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of nine members. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Llanedeyrn, in the diocese of Llandaff; joint gross value, £321 with residence. The church is an interesting 14th-century edifice, built on the ruins of a former Norman church, which is supposed to have been built in memory of St Mellons, the original church having been dedicated to St LIeurwg. The church was repaired in 1868.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cardiff|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Mellons from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mellons, St.)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: