St Maughans, Monmouthshire
Maughans, St. a parish in Monmouthshire, near the river Monnow at the boundary with Herefordshire, 4¼ miles NW of Monmouth. Post town, Monmouth. Acreage, 1328; population, 166. Hilston Park is the chief residence. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is ancient and was restored in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Maughans from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Maughan's, St.)
Online maps of St Maughans are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: