St Bride Wentlooge, Monmouthshire
Bride-Wentlooge, St, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the coast, on Wentlooge Level, adjacent to the mouth of the river Usk, 2 miles E by N of Marshfield station on the G.W.R., and 4 SSW of Newport. It has a post office under Cardiff; money order and telegraph office, Castleton. Acreage, 1910 of land and 1843 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 241; of the ecclesiastical with Coedkernew, 376. The living is a vicarage united with the vicarage of Coedkernew in the diocese of LIandaff; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of LIandaff. The church belongs to the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, and has a fine tower 66 feet high. It leans out of the perpendicular 3 feet to the W and 1 foot to the N. It has 8 bells, which are considered about the finest in Monmouthshire - one of them is over a ton in weight. There is a tablet in the porch recording an inundation of the sea which happened in 1606, with a mark about 5 feet from the ground showing the height of the flood. There is a chapel on the N side of the church of a much older date. There are also Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bride St. Wentlloog|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Bride Wentlooge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bride (St.) Wentlloog)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: