St Aryans, Monmouthshire
Aryans, St, a parish in Monmouthshire, near the river Wye, 2 miles NNW of Chepstow. It contains the hamlets of Portcasseg and St Lawrence, and it has a post and telegraph office under Ghepstow. Acreage, 2160; population of the civil parish, 503; of the ecclesiastical, with Penterry, 540. Piercefield is a handsome mansion situated in a fine park, and commanding beautiful views of the Wye. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of the neighbouring parish of Penterry, in the diocese of Llandaff; value, £210. Patrons, the Bishop of Llandaff and the Duke of Beaufort alternately. The church is an ancient structure, with an octagonal tower, and has been rebuilt. There are remains of two ancient chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Arvans St.|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Aryans from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Arvans (St.))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: