Skenfrith or Skenfreth, Monmouthshire
Skenfrith or Skenfreth, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the river Monnow, 6¼miles NW by N of Monmonth, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Monmonth. There is a bridge of three arches over the river. The parish comprises 4885 acres; population of the civil parish, 501; of the ecclesiastical, 491. Skenfrith Castle dates from the Norman period, and was a stronghold in the Border warfare between the Welsh and the English. It was thrice visited by Henry III. for the purpose of treating with Llewellyn. It is in the form of a trapezium. A small circular keep, and portion of the walls remain. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £140 with residence. The church is an Early English edifice with a lantern tower. An ancient cope is preserved here, and the church contains an interesting Morgan tomb of 1557 date. There are Roman Catholic, Wesleyan, and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skenfreth St. Bridget|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skenfrith or Skenfreth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skenfreth, or Skenfrith (St. Bridget))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: