UK Genealogy Archives logo

Shire Newton, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Shire Newton, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands 4½ miles W of Chepstow, and has a post and money order office under Chepstow; telegraph office, St Aryans. The parish comprises 3599 acres; population, 648. Shire Newton Hall is situated on the top of a high hill, and commands extensive and beautiful views. The Grondra is another chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £265 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1853. It stands on an elevation, and has a massive tower. There are Bible Christian, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ecclesiastical parishShire-Newton St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredCaldicot 
Poor Law unionChepstow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Shire Newton from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: