Rockfield, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Monnow, 2½ miles NW of Monmouth. There is a post office under Monmouth; money order and telegraph office, Monmouth. Acreage, 1848; population of the civil parish, 221; of the ecclesiastical, 231. Rockfield House and Pentwyn are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £61. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1862. There is an old cross, which has been restored, in the churchyard; another stands at the entrance to the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rockfield St. Kenelm|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Rockfield from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rockfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rockfield (St. Kenelm))
Online maps of Rockfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: