Peterstone, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the coast, 1½ mile S of Marshfield station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and 6½ miles SW by S of Newport. Post town, Castleton, under Cardiff. Acreage, 2099 of land and 1267 of foreshore; population, 135. The surface is part of Wentllooge Level. A market-town and port formerly stood here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £70. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church was built originally by Maud, the daughter of Sir Robert Fitzhamon, but is chiefly of Decorated and Perpendicular date, and has been restored. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Peterstone St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Peterstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Peterstone (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: