Penallt, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Wye, 2 miles SSE of Monmouth. Post town, Monmouth. Acreage, 2375; population, 420. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £126 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1885. Near the church is a large oak tree, having a stone seat at its foot, and it was formerly the custom when a funeral passed for the remains to be deposited on this stone while the mourners gathered round and sang a psalm. There are a chapel of ease and Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Penallt from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penallt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Penalth)
Online maps of Penallt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: