Panteg, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands three-quarters of a mile E of the river Avon Llwyd, and 2½ miles SE of Pontypool. It has a station on the Eastern Valley section of the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Pontypool; telegraph office, Griffith's Town. The parish contains also the villages of Pontymoel, Sebastopol, Cwmynysgoy, Penyrheol, Pontyrhydyryn, and Upper and Lower Race. Acreage, 3560; population, 3746. There are extensive iron, tinplate, and steel works, collieries, quarries, and firebrick works. The parish is governed by an urban district council of twelve members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £206 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1876, but retains a tower of the 15th century. There are Congregational chapels and a mission hall and institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Panteague St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Pont-y-Pool|
|Registration district||Pontypool||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Panteg from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Panteague (St. Mary))
Online maps of Panteg are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: