UK Genealogy Archives logo

Oldcastle, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Oldcastle, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the rivers Honddu and Monnow, at the boundary with Herefordshire, and under the Black Mountains, 1½ mile NW of Pandy station on the G.W.R., and 7 N by E of Abergavenny. Post town, Abergavenny; money order office, Pandy; telegraph office, Llanvihangel Crucomey. Acreage, 934; population, 57. An old castle was here, on a spot now occupied by a farmhouse, and has left but slight remains. Sir John Oldcastle, Lord Cobham, who was burnt for heresy in the reign of Henry V., was a resident. There are several Roman camps, and Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; gross yearly value, £70. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, rebuilt in 1864, and consists of chancel, nave½ N porch, and a turret containing two bells.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ecclesiastical parishOldcastle St. John the Baptist 
HundredAbergavenny 
Poor Law unionAbergavenny 
Registration districtAbergavenny1837 - 1935

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Oldcastle from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Abergavenny Registration District.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Oldcastle from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Oldcastle are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyMonmouthshire
RegionWales
CountryWales
Postal districtNP7