Newchurch, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands 6½ miles NW of Chepstow, and 7½ SE of Usk. The parish is cut into two divisions, E and W. Acreage, 3399 and 2098; population, 393 and 139 respectively. It includes the ancient chapelry of Devanden, which is said to have been the place where the Britons were utterly defeated by the Saxons in 743. At Gaer-llwyd is a very perfect cromlech. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £30 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is Early English, and was repaired in 1865. The living of Devanden is a chapelry; net value, £30. Patron, the Vicar of Newchurch. The church is a small plain building. There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newchurch)
Online maps of Newchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: