Nash, a parish, with a small village, in Monmouthshire, on the coast of the Bristol Channel, at the left side of the mouth of the river Usk, 3 miles SW of Llanwern station on the G.W.R., and 5 SSE of Newport. It has a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Maindee. Acreage, 2721 of land and 1 of water, with 10 of adjacent tidal water and 3518 of foreshore; population, 273. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £80. Patron, Eton College. The church is Early English. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nash St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
|Registration district||Newport||1837 - 1936|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nash (St. Mary))
Online maps of Nash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: