Llanvihangel Llantamam, Monmouthshire
Llanvihangel Llantamam, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Llwyd and the Monmouthshire Canal, 3¼ miles N of Newport. It has a station of the name of Llantamam on the G.W.R., and its post town is Newport; money order and telegraph office, Cwmbran. Acreage, 4097; population, 4905. The parish contains part of Cwmbran, and is governed by a local board. There are firebrick works. A Cistercian abbey stood here and was given at the dissolution to the Morgans. Llantamam Abbey was built from the materials of the old abbey, is a Tudor edifice, belonged for a time to the Morgans, and belongs now to the Bowling family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £123. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1869; it has a mortuary chapel of the Dowling family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanvihangel-Llantarnam St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanvihangel Llantamam from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanvihangel-Llantarnam (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: