Llanvetherine, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Trothy, 4 miles SE by E of Llanfihangel station on the G.W.K., and 5 NE by E of Abergavenny, with a post office under Abergavenny; money order office, Abergavenny; telegraph office, Llantilio Crossenny. Acreage, 2169; population, 193. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £222 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Abergavenny. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1870. Tliere is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanvetherine St. James the Elder|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanvetherine from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Abergavenny Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanvetherine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanvetherine (St. James the Elder))
Online maps of Llanvetherine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: