Llanvapley, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Trothy, 4 miles E of Abergavenny. It has a post office under Abergavenny; money order office, Abergavenny; telegraph office, Llantilio Crossenny. Acreage, 845; population, 113. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; tithe commuted at £160, and about —£95 rent from glebe. Patron, the Marquis of Abergavenny. The church is dedicated to St Mapley, and was restored in 1861. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanvapley St. Mapley|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanvapley from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Abergavenny Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanvapley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanvapley (St. Mapley))
Online maps of Llanvapley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: