Llanvair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
Llanvair Kilgeddin, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Usk, 2¼ miles NE by N of Nantyderry station on the G.W.R., 5 NW of Usk, and 5 SE of Abergavenny. Post town, Abergavenny; telegraph office, Llanvihangel Gobion. Acreage, 1808; population, 290. A suspension bridge here spans the Usk. There is a parish room and an institute and library. Pant-y-Goitre and Llanfair Grange are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £329 with residence. Patron, Lord Tredegar. The church was restored in 1876, and is very beautifully decorated with mural sgraffitto work It has a good E window. The old oak screen and chancel roof are rich in wood carving.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanvair-Kilgidin St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanvair Kilgeddin from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Abergavenny Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanvair Kilgeddin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanvair-Kilgidin (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: