Llanover, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the river Usk, 1 mile SE of Penpergwm station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 miles SSE of Aber-gavenny, is a considerable place, and gives the title of Baron to the family of Hall. The parish is cut into two divisions, lower and upper, and includes the town of Blaenavon, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office (K.S.O.) Acreage, 4699; population of the civil parish,'8813; of the ecclesiastical, 397. Llanover Court is the manor house. Part of the land is mountainous and is overhung by the Blorenge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llan-daff; gross value, £591 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is ancient. In the churchyard is a monument to Lord Llanover and an ancient stone cross. The perpetual curacy of Blaenavon is a separate benefice. There are Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanover St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanover from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanover (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Llanover are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: