Llanhilleth or Llanhiddel, Monmouthshire
Llanhilleth or Llanhiddel, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the Monmouthshire Canal and on the river Ebbw, 4½ miles WNW of Pontypool. It has a post and money order office under Crumlin (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Crumlin. It includes part of the villages of Aberbeeg, Six Bells, and Crumlin. The parish comprises 2009 acres; population, 1956. There are collieries and a brewery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £92 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Abergavenny. The church is dedicated to St Ithel, was restored in 1893, and some old yew trees are near it. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llanhileth St. Iltyd|
|Poor Law union||Pont-y-Pool|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llanhilleth or Llanhiddel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llanhileth (St. Iltyd))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: