UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llangymdr or Llangunider, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Llangymdr or Llangunider, a parish in Monmouthshire and Brecknockshire. The parish lies on the river Usk and the Brecon Canal, 4 miles W by N of Crickhowell, and 4½ SE of Talybout station on the Brecon and Merthyr railway; includes a mountain pass called Mynydd Llangynidr; and contains a small but beautifully situated village of its own name. It has a post and money order office under Crickhowell; telegraph office, Crickhowell. Acreage, 7849, of which 4695 were in Monmouthshire; population of the civil parish, 3642; of the ecclesiastical, 2820. Limestone and coal are worked, and many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring ironworks. Some scenery, particularly at Buck-land Mill and Dyffryn Crownant, is very fine. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £236 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is dedicated to St Cynydr.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: