St Winnow, Cornwall
Winnow, St, a parish, with Bridgend village, in Cornwall, on the river Fowey, 2½ miles SSE of Lostwithiel station on the G.W.R. Post town, Lostwithiel. Acreage, 6247; population, 1064. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Ethy and Lanwithan are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £235 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church occupies a very beautiful position, and is a building of granite and stone in the Perpendicular style; it contains some interesting monuments, one being to Lieutenant Melville, who perished with Lieutenant Coghill while endeavouring to save the colours after the disaster of Isandlwana in 1879. There is a chapel of ease to the parish church. The Cornwall House of Mercy, situated in this parish, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, and has a beautiful private chapel dedicated to St Faith.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bodmin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Winnow 1622-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Winnow from the following:
Online maps of St Winnow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.