Llangibby, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands near the Roman way to Caerleon, 3 miles SSW of Usk, and has a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Usk. The parish includes the hamlet of Coed-y-Paen, and comprises 4488 acres; population, 468. Llangibby House, which was built by Inigo Jones, Pen-y-Park, Cwrt Bleddyn, and Llwyn-celyn arc the chief residences. Some remains exist of Llangibby Castle, which in the time of Sir Trevor Williams was besieged and taken by the Parliamentary forces. About half a mile from the castle are some slight remains of an ecclesiastical building called Tregrwg. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Coed-y-Paen annexed, in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £430 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Cybi, and is good. A small church was built in 1861 at Coed-y-Paen. A well, arched over with very ancient masonry, is near the parish church. There is a Baptist chapel. The parish council consists of five members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llangibby St. Cuby|
|Poor Law union||Pont-y-Pool|
|Registration district||Pontypool||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangibby from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Pontypool Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llangibby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llangibby (St. Cuby))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: