Upper Llanfrechfa or Llanvrechfa, Monmouthshire
Llanfrechfa or Llanvrechfa, Upper, a parish in Monmouthshire, on an affluent of the river Usk and the Mon-inouthshire Canal, 3 miles SE of Pontypool, and 6 from Newport. It includes the villages of Pontnewydd, Griffiths-town, and Upper Cwm Bran, and it has stations, Pontnewydd and Upper Pontnewydd, on the Eastern Valleys branch of the G.W.R. There are post, money order, and telegraph offices at Pontnewydd and Griffithstown, under Newport. Acreage, 2064; population, 4962. There are iron, steel, and tinplate works, and a colliery. The parish is governed by a local board. The Pontypool Workhouse is situated at Griffiths-town, where are also the engine sheds of the G.W.R. and a mechanics' institute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church was erected in 1860 and enlarged in 1890. There is a chapel of ease at Griffithstown, and also Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels; and Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels at Pontnewydd, and Baptist and Congregational chapels at Upper Cwm Bran.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: