Llandogo, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the river Wye, at the boundary with Gloucestershire, under Beacon Hill, 1 mile SW of Bigsweir station on the Wye Valley branch of the G.W.R., and 7 miles S by E of Monmouth; is a pretty place amid beautiful surroundings; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chepstow. A small waterfall, called Cleddon Shoots, is on the hillside near the village. The parish includes White-brook, and comprises 1821 acres; population, 552. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Whitebrook, in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £203 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St Odoceus and was rebuilt in 1860. There is a Baptist chapel, and a chapel of ease and a Baptist chapel at Whitebrook.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llandogo St. Dochoe|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llandogo from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llandogo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llandogo (St. Dochoe))
Online maps of Llandogo are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: