Itton, a parish in Monmouthshire, 3 miles WNW of Chepstow. Post town, Chepstow. Acreage, 1116; population, 161. There is a flour-mill and a sawmill. Itton Court was an outlying fortalice of Chepstow Castle, and the owner still pays tribute to the Duke of Beaufort, as lord of Chepstow. The mansion has been modernized, but retains a 14th century tower. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £100 with residence. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1869.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Itton St. Deiniol|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Itton from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Itton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Itton (St. Deiniol))
Online maps of Itton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: