St Veep, Cornwall
Veep, St, a parish in Cornwall, 4 miles SE of Lostwithiel station on the G.W.R. Post town, Lostwithiel. Acreage, 3111; population, 499. St Cadoc is the seat of the Wymonds. St Cyric's Priory, a cell to Montacute Abbey, was founded in the parish by the Earl of Mortaigne, was the place where the monk W. de Exeter wrote the " Life of Guy, Earl of Warwick," and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £113. The church is an ancient edifice of stone with an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Lerryn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||St. Veep St. Cyricius|
|Poor Law union||Liskeard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Veep from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Veep, St. (St. Cyricius))
Online maps of St Veep are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.