Goytre, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Usk, 1¼ mile W of Nantyderry station on the G.W.R., which is in the parish, 4½ miles NE of Pontypool, and 5 S of Abergavenny. Post town, Nantyderry, under Abergavenny; money order office, Abergavenny; telegraph office, Nantyderry. Acreage, 3348; population, 609. Limestone and building stone are worked. Goytre House, The Pentre, and Nantyderry House are chief residences. Goytre Hall, formerly the seat of the Jenkins family, is now a farmhouse, The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £177 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Abergavenny. The church was rebuilt in 1846, and there are Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. In the churchyard are the two finest yew trees in Monmouthshire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Goytrey St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Pont-y-Pool|
|Registration district||Pontypool||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Goytre from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Pontypool Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Goytre from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Goytrey (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: