Dixton or Dixton Newton, Monmouthshire
Dixton or Dixton-Newton, a hamlet and a parish in Monmouthshire. The hamlet lies on the river Wye, 1 mile NE of Monmouth. The parish includes the hamlets of May Hill, Redbrook, and Wyesham. Post town, Monmouth; there is also a post, money order, and telegraph office at Redbrook under Monmouth. Acreage, 3467; population of the civil parish, 642; of the ecclesiastical, 714. Stone is quarried here. There are also brick and tile manufactories and steam sawmills. On the summit of the Kymin Hill was erected in 1800 a monument to commemorate the naval victories of the 18th century; it was restored in 1882 by the Duke of Beaufort. An extensive view embracing ten counties is obtained from this hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £143 with residence. The church is ancient, and has a low broach spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dixton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dixton or Dixton Newton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dixton (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: