UK Genealogy Archives logo

Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Cwmyoy, a parish in Monmouthshire and Herefordshire, on the river Honddu, under the Black Mountains, 3 miles NW of Llanfihangel station on the. G.W.R., and 7 N of Abergavenny. Acreage, 8248; population, 326. It contains the hamlets of Fwthog and Bwlch-Trewyn, and the abbey of Llanthony. Post town, Abergavenny. The surface includes grand mountain and glen scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; value, £155. The parish church is ancient. There is another church close to the ruins of the abbey, annexed to the vicarage of Cwmyoy. There is a Baptist chapel. See LLANTHONY ABBEY.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ecclesiastical parishCwmyoy St. Michael 
HundredAbergavenny 
HundredAbergavenny 
Poor Law unionAbergavenny 
Poor Law unionAbergavenny 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cwmyoy from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Cwmyoy are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyMonmouthshire
RegionWales
CountryWales
Postal districtNP7