Cwmcarvan, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire, on the Pontypool, Monmouth, and Ross branch of the G.W.R., 2 miles SE of Dingestow station, and 3¼ SW by S of Monmouth, which is the post town. Acreage, 3003; population, 215. A battle was fought here between Henry IV. and Owen Glendower in 1404. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Mitchel-Troy, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Cwmcarvan from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cwmcarvan from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cwmcarvan)
Online maps of Cwmcarvan are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: